Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Not Feeling Like Royalty at Shawarma King

After being disappointed at Gabriels Pizza on Friday, I moved down the street to see what else there was to lunch on. An old university friend had recommended Shawarma's King (395 Bank Street, Ottawa) after I had visited Shawarma Palace a few weeks back.  So, being in the vicinity, I thought I would give it a try.

I arrived at 11:40 A.M. to find Shawarma's King pretty well empty.  Three rotating spits of meat were gradually turning behind the long counter.   I reviewed the menu to see what my options were but settled on what I had at Shawarma Palace to get a good comparison of which Shawarma restaurant I would prefer.
The Order: 1 Beef Shawarma sandwich with a can of Coke.

The beef was carved off the rotating spit of beef and placed in a wrap.  Next, after inquiring, the server put everything on it and packaged it up, took my cash,  I grabbed my Coke and left.

The Shawarma sandwich seemed a little smaller than the Shawarma found at Shawarma Palace.  The beef itself tasted slightly on the dry side leaving me to wonder how long it had been roasting on the spit.  The toppings tasted average freshness but were nothing special.  The place seemed just average to me in terms of Shawarma compared to Shawarma Palace.  Sure the Shawarma was o.k. even with the slightly dry meat.

Overall, Shawarma King provides an average Shawarma experience.  Nothing overly fresh in either the meat or the toppings.  The restaurant itself appears to need an update that is dimly lit.  Nothing much to see, but despite this, the food is average and not too bad.  Hopefully the next time I visit I feel more like King than I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts